Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Basements are yucky. (And interesting.)

I swear I have a basement phobia. I even googled that to see if there's a formal name for basement phobia. I couldn't find anything, so I guess we'll just call it basementaphobia. Or maybe subter supter humus campester phobia. (Which is what an online translator tells me "below ground level phobia" would be in latin.) yeah, basementaphobia is easier.

Anyway, I don't like basements. So naturally, I decided to spend today working in our basement. So far, it has officially been my husband's job to deal with the basement. I am not pleased with his progress. I'm emptying it out and throwing stuff out. I'm also painting the walls and floor of the storage rooms. My 10 year old daughter and I did the walls already and I'm in the process of throwing away almost all the contents of the storage rooms. My rule is that if I have to deal with it when it's not mine, I can do whatever I want with it. If you want to have a say, deal with it yourself.

In the closet under the stairs I found a typewriter. Not an electric typewriter, just a regular old typewriter. I have no idea where it came from. (I should really stop wondering that. I was cleaning out the shed one time and I found a wheelchair in there. The neighborhood kids wanted to take turns riding it around the yard. Whatever.) My kids are now obsessed with the typewriter. They think it is so fun. My six year old said, "It's like a computer! Only not really." They are patiently taking turns typing. It is just cracking me up.

So, that's one less thing in the basement. Do you think I'll be able to get rid of it? Maybe I should keep it and have them practice their spelling words on it, since it's so fun. Anyone know where to buy typewriter ribbon these days? Maybe the same store as the record player needles. Ha.

1 comment:

Velda said...

Oh my goodness I can't stop giggling.....I have an electric typewriter that my kids thought was ancient, I don't think they've ever SEEN a manual one...I remember them well.....don't suppose you took any before/after photos huh? I'd love to see them! As for needles for record players, you can still buy them lol...ribbon for typewriters, not so much.