Summertime . . . and the knitting's easy.
I'm trying to knit a baby sweater. It's giving me fits.
OK, it started with a baby kimono I knitted a long while ago, simply because I wanted to. I thought,"Oh, that kimono and socks would be a great gift for one of the many babies that will be coming along in the next 2-8 months. I think I will knit some little pants to go with it."
I started out with some baby bell bottoms. I knitted one leg and it was wide and stumpy and weird. No go. Rippit.
Then I went for a pair of the baby pants from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts." I've knitted them before. No problem, right? I decided to add a little ruffle to the bottom of the legs. Things were going along swimmingly until I got 3" from the top of the pants and ran out of yarn. A couple emergency stripes later, they are adorable.
And too big. There is no way they will go with that tiny kimono.
OK, another sweater now to go with the pants. (Try to forget that the whole point was to gift the surplus kimono.) I started a girly hoodie in a deep blue. Lovely! And tiny, I noticed, after knitting a hood, a yoke, and two sleeves. Rippit. Also ripped up the pattern, because the tininess was only one of its many problems. (Suffice it to say that I had to rewrite the stitch pattern to make sense, and none of their stitch counts at the end of the row were correct, either for their try at the stitch pattern or mine.)
I'm getting ready to start my next try. Different yarn, a pale yellow. Different hoodie.
Wish me luck! If this doesn't work, every baby is getting a storebought pack of burpcloths.