Monday, February 12, 2007

Sweater Day!

OK, I give up on remembering to have someone take pictures of me wearing my sweaters. These are three sweaters I have knitted in the last 9 months or so.


This is a bolero made of Lion Brand Homespun. I mostly wear it around the house. It's made of the remnants of another sweater I knitted a couple years ago which was big enough to be a bathrobe. But it was all acrylic and not at all bathrobe-appropriate. Then I lost 20 pounds, and it was something I could camp under. I unraveled it and I have since knitted a shawl, a long man's scarf, and this sweater. The yarn is not quite gone.


This is my starburst wrap sweater from Knitpicks. This pattern had a ton of problems, but I fixed them all with much trial and tribulation and I now have a lovely, wearable sweater. It's made of Knitpicks Merino Style. So soft and warm! Some of the problems included a completely wonky collar which I knitted three times to get it the way I like it. (It is not the same as the collar on the pattern.) The star was not properly oriented on the back. I tried to fix it one way and that didn't work, so I ended up removing the fronts (which are knitted down from the top of the completed back), and the sleeves (picked up and knit down from the shoulder) ripping back the back to a point where I could fix it (up to the star itself), re-knitting, then grafting all the pieces back together (including grafting the sleeves back on in the rib.) Painful. Thankfully, they no longer sell this pattern. It has soured me a bit on ever buying another Knitpicks pattern, though.


Here is my Mariah sweater, from Knitty. I wear this all the time! I love it. It's made of Knitpicks Wool of the Andes. I wore this to the Art Museum for Family Artventure a few weeks ago and ran into the organizer of my KIP group, who recognized me from my sweater before she saw my face.


This is the sleeve cable in greyscale to bring out a little more contrast and detail.


Those are the sweaters for now. There is also a pink Bob sweater I knitted as a knit-along with some gals from my KIP group, but I don't like it at all. It fits weird, and it's too big. It will be unraveled and the yarn reused for something else.

I'm currently knitting a cabled pullover. I just love cables! I have the front and back done, and I've just started a sleeve. After that will probably be Bristow. I already have the yarn for it. Any other sweater I would have to buy yarn for.

I guess I've stalled long enough. Gotta go tackle the laundry I let pile up all weekend, so I wouldn't have to leave things half-folded during the 5 house showings we had. Have a great week!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sweaters!!!! I am a poor sweater knitter, I only have one sweater that I knit that actually fits ;)

Running Kiwi said...

They all look great! ... lots of work ;)

Stefaneener said...

Oh, man, that Mariah makes me feel a little woozy. I love cables.

Too bad about the star sweater. I can't believe how much work you put into it! Did you complain about the pattern?

. said...

Lara those are stunning!!!!!!!!

Jennus Interruptus said...

Wow! Nice work.
All those sweaters in succession made me think at first that you finished them all very recently... If you've knitted these garments in the last month, I will turn you in to whatever your country's secret organization is called! That's knitting on a paranormal level.

Kristin said...

Oh wow...what gorgeous sweaters!

Karen said...

I love the starburst one! Actually, they are all really nice... Sigh... someday...

mel said...

If you're a knitter...then the next hobby you need to explore is spinning, if you haven't already. But be fore-warned. It's highly addictive, and might take over your livingroom... ;-)

(Found your blog linked to my sister's, Saralaughs.)

Margaret said...

Wow that Starburst one is so neat.