Sunday, September 24, 2006

Feeling Unfinished . . .

I am feeling really unfinished lately. Our house is half-packed. Our house is half-sold. Our new house is half-bought. And I have a pile of half-done jobs and projects around here. I am not one of those crafters who loves to just do lots of things and doesn't care if they are ever done. Yes, I love the process, but I love for things to be finished!

My crafting life is something that I can control. On those days when the kids have undone most of what you have done and your life seems to be succumbing to entropy, it's reassuring to do 10 stitches and know that when you wake up in the morning they will still be done.

So, I decided I have to finish something. I cannot force our buyers to finish writing their contract, already. (Come on, people!) And I cannot pack anything else without having to unpack it and use it. ("Oh, honey. I know you need your toothbrush, but I just wanted to finish packing.") And after years of hoping beyond hope, I cannot make the dirty laundry stop regenerating itself as I wash it, nor the dishes. So, I am finishing the green crocheted blanket. I finished crocheting the squares last night and sewed them together. Today I started the borders and by the time I go to bed tonight, it will be done.

I think I will give it to my brother and his almost-wife for their new baby, when it gets closer to baby time (March). I will use the yarn I bought to make them a different blanket for something else, probably a throw for our new house. I can't bear the thought of starting another something new, when I know I will be starting (and hopefully quickly finishing) a large cross-stitch piece for their wedding next month. (They've been working up to it for years, and now they decide to just do it less than a month ahead of time. :p )

I'll take a picture when it's done. Maybe in the next couple days things will start feeling more finished?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((Hugs))) Lara. Being in a state of limbo where houses are concerned is the worst. Hope it's over for you soon. Looking forward to seeing your finished blanket.

Margaret said...

Being in those in-between stages is so draining! I hope life settles down for you soon and I look forward to seeing your completed blanket.

J. Denae said...

I'm right there with you! I have been knitting basic garter stitch washcloths to feel like I am actually capable of finishing something.

Deb said...

Oh house selling has to be the worst stressor. Keeping fingers crossed it all goes through for you.

Anonymous said...

Huge Hugs!!! I can't wait to see the blanket